前景提要:卷福在馬戲團找到了兇手,然而一切遠沒有結束......
D:sent a couple of cars. The old hall is totally deserted.我派人去了那幢舊樓。但已經空無一人了。
S:Look, I saw the mark at?the circus. The tattoo that we saw, on the two bodies, the mark of the Tong.我在馬戲團看到的那個標記。就和2名死者身上的幫會紋身一樣。
W:Lukis and Van Coon were?part of a smuggling operation. One of them stole something in China. Something?valuable.路基斯和范孔是走私團伙的成員。其中一人從中國偷了件價值連城的珍寶。
S:The circus performers were?gang members sent here to get it back.馬戲團演員被派到這兒來,就是要取回珍寶。
D:Get what back? 什么珍寶?
W:We don't know. 還不知道。
D:You don't know? Mr Holmes,?I've done everything you asked. Lestrade, he seems to think your advice is?worth something. I gave the order for a raid. Please tell me I'll have?something to show for it. Other than a massive bill for overtime. 不知道?福爾摩斯先生,你吩咐的我可都照做了。雷斯垂德認為你必然有你的道理。我已經下令搜查了。那就麻煩你讓我搜點東西出來,而不是讓我們白付大筆的加班費
W:They'll be back in China?by tomorrow.明天他們就該回中國了。
S:No, they won't leave?without what they came for. We need to find a hideout. A rendezvous. Somewhere?in this message it must tell us.東西還沒到手他們才不會善罷甘休。得找出他們的藏身之處。還有接頭地點。答案一定就在這些數字里。
Sarah:?Well, I think perhaps I should leave you to?it.我看我還是先走了吧。
W:No, you don’t have to go. Stay.不,留下沒關系。
S:Yes, it’d be better if you?left now.好,你走了最好。
W:He's kidding. Please stay?if you'd like.他開玩笑呢。想留就留下吧。
Sarah:Is it just me or is anyone?else starving? 我都餓死啦你們不餓嗎?
S:Oh, God.我的神啊。
Sarah:So this is what you do. You?and John, you solve puzzles for a living.這就是你們的工作咯。你們以解謎為生嗎。
S:Consulting detective.我是顧問偵探。
Sarah:?What are these squiggles?這些圈圈線條是什么啊?
S:They're numbers. An?ancient Chinese dialect.是數字。一種古代漢語方言。
Sarah:?Oh, right. Well, of course. I should have?known that.對哦。我也該猜到。
Mrs Hudson:?I've done punch and a bowl of?nibbles.我弄了些賓治酒和點心。
W:Mrs Hudson, you are a?saint. 赫德森太太,你真是我的大恩人。
Mrs Hudson:?If it was Monday, I'd have been to?the supermarket.今天不是周一,我都沒去超市。
W:Thank you. Thank you.感激不盡。
Sarah:?So these numbers, it’s a cipher?這些數字,是密碼嗎?
S:Exactly.正是。
Sarah:?And each pair of numbers is a word?一對數字就是一個單詞嗎?
S:How did you know that?你怎么知道?
Sarah:?Well, two words have already been translated.?Here.這兩個詞不是已經被破譯了嗎。
S:John. John, look at?this. Soo Lin at the museum, she started to translate the code for us. We?didn't see it. Nine mill.約翰,來看這個。素琳在博物館已經破譯了一些密碼。我們沒注意到。九百萬。
W:Does that mean millions?百萬是指錢嗎?
S:Nine million quid. For?what? We need to know the end of this sentence.九百萬英鎊。拿來做什么?我們得破譯出后面的意思。
W:Where are you going?你去哪兒?
S:To the museum, to the?restoration room. We must have been staring right at it.去博物館,修護室。我們一定看到過。
W:At what?看到過什么?
S:The book, John. The book. The?key to cracking the cipher. Soo Lin used it to do this. Whilst we were running?around the gallery, She started to translate the code. It must be on her desk.書啊,約翰。破譯密碼用的書。素琳就是用那書破譯的密碼。我們在陳列室一籌莫展的時候,她就開始破譯了。一定在她桌上。
Sarah:?Yeah. No, absolutely. I mean, a quietnight in is just what the doctor ordered.?I mean, I love to go out of an evening and wrestle a few?Chinese gangsters generally, but a girl can get too much.是啊。那是當然。我喜歡晚上安靜地待在家里。我是說,偶爾出去玩玩兒。和幾個中國匪徒比劃拳腳也挺不錯,但女孩子還是免了吧。
W:OK. Er, shall we get a?takeaway?也是。要不咱們叫外賣吧?
Sarah:?Yeah.好啊。
W:Blimey, that was quick. I'll?just pop down.哎呀,來得可真快。我這就下去拿。
Sarah:?Do you want me to lay the table?要我擺下桌子嗎?
W:Um…eat off trays?要擺好了吃嗎?
Sarah:?Yeah.對。
W:Yeah.對。
W:Sorry to keep you. Howmuch do you want??不好意思久等了。多少錢?
Man:?Do you have it? 在你那兒嗎?
W:What? 什么?
Man:?Do you have the treasure?珍寶在你那兒嗎?
W:I don't understand.我不明白。
Shan:?A book is like a magic garden, carried in?your pocket. Chinese proverb, Mr Holmes.書中自有黃金屋,書中自有顏如玉。這是中國的諺語,Holmes先生。
W:I'm...I'm not Sherlock?Holmes.我...我不是夏洛克福爾摩斯。
Shan:?Forgive me, if I do not take your word forit. Debit card, name of... S Holmes.?別怪我不相信你。銀行借記卡,戶主...福爾摩斯。
S:Take my card.用我的卡吧。
W:Yes, that's not actually?mine. He lent that to me.但這張不是我的。是他借給我的。
Shan:?And a cheque for£5,000 made out in the name of Mr?Sherlock Holmes.五千英鎊的支票開給... Sherlock Holmes先生。
W:Yeah, he gave me that to?look after.是的,他讓我保管。
Shan:?Tickets from the theatre collected by you,?name of Holmes.戲院的入場券購買人也是福爾摩斯。
W:Yes, OK.是的。
W:Er, Holmes. I realise whatthis looks like. But I'm not him.?福爾摩斯,看來我是百口莫辯了。但我不是他。
Shan:?We heard it from your own mouth.不是你親口說的嗎。
W:What?說什么?
Shan:?I am Sherlock Holmes and I always work?alone.我是夏洛克福爾摩斯,我總是單槍匹馬。
W:Because no-one else cancompete with my massive intellect. Did I really say that? I suppose there's nouse me trying to persuade you I was doing an impression.?因為我的大智慧無人能敵。我說了嗎?我當時只是在調侃,不過說了你也不信。
Shan:?I am Shan.我是單。
W:You're... You're Shan? Three?times we tried to kill you and your companion, Mr Holmes. What does it tell you?when an assassin cannot shoot straight? It tells you that they're not really?trying.什么…你就是單?福爾摩斯先生,我們曾三次想殺你和同伴。每次暗殺都無功而返這說明什么?說明他們未盡全力。
S:Tramway. There.電車軌道。那里。
Shan:?Not blank bullets now. OK. If we wanted to?kill you, Mr Holmes, we would have done it by now. We just wanted to make you?inquisitive. Do you have it?這次不再是空槍了。懂嗎。如果我們真要殺你,福爾摩斯先生,你早就死了。我們不過想撩起你的好奇心。你找到了嗎?
W:Do I have what?我找到什么了?
Shan:?The treasure.珍寶。
W:I don’t know what you’re?talking about.我不明白你再說什么。
Shan:?I would prefer to make certain. Everything?in the West has its price. And the price for her life - information.我喜歡確保萬無一失。在西方萬物皆有其價。而她性命的要價-就是我要的信息。
W:I’m sorry. I’m sorry. 我很抱歉。
Shan:?Where’s the hairpin? 發簪在哪兒?
W:What? 什么?
Shan:?The Empress pin valued at 9 millionsterling? We already had a buyer in the West, and then one of our people wasgreedy, he took it, brought it back to London,?and you, Mr Holmes, have been searching.皇太后價值九百萬的發簪在哪兒?我們已經找到了買家,卻有人貪得無厭,私吞了它并帶回了倫敦,而福爾摩斯先生,你一直煞費苦心在找。
W:Please, please. Listen to?me. I'm not... I'm not Sherlock Holmes. You have to believe me. I haven't found?whatever it is you're looking for.拜托。請聽我說。我不是…我不是夏洛克福爾摩斯。請相信我。不管你在找什么我都沒見過。
Shan:?I need a volunteer from the audience.我需要一位觀眾當志愿者。
W:No, please, please!不要,請不要!
Shan:?Ah, thank you, lady. Yes, you'll do very?nicely. Ladies and gentlemen, from the distant, moonlit shores of NW1, we?present for your pleasure, Sherlock Holmes' pretty companion in a death-defying?act.謝謝這位女士。我保證您能表現出色。女士們先生們,來自遙遠西北1號線的月光之濱,我們有幸為您獻上,夏洛克福爾摩斯的美麗女友表演的死亡挑戰。
W:Please!求你了住手!
Shan:?You've seen the act before. How dull for
you. You know how it ends.這節目你都看過了。這會失去多少樂趣呀。你都已經知道結局了。
W:I'm not Sherlock Holmes!我不是夏洛克福爾摩斯!
Shan:?I don't believe you.我不相信。