前景提要:卷福收到了驚嚇!!!他真的看了“巨型獵犬”,但華生卻不相信,到底哪里出了問題?接下來的調查又會發生什么呢?
W:Um, more wine,?doctor?再來點酒嗎,醫生?
M:Are you trying to?get me drunk, doctor?你想灌醉我嗎,醫生?
W:The thought never?occurred.還真沒想過。
M:Because a while ago?I thought you were chatting me up.因為剛才我還覺得你在搭訕我呢。
W:Oh! Where?did I go wrong?我什么時候露餡了?
M:When you started?asking about my patients.你開始打聽我病人的事。
W:Well, I am one of?Henry's oldest friends.我是亨利的老朋友
M:Yeah, and he's oneof my patients, so I can't talk about him. Although he has told me about allhis oldest friends. Which one are you?對,他還是我的病人,我不能談他,不過他給我講過所有的老朋友,你是哪個?
W:A new one?新交的?
W:OK, what about hisfather? He wasn't one of your patients. Wasn't he some sort of conspiracy nutter...theorist?好吧,談談他父親?他總不是你的病人吧。他不是個陰謀論瘋子...陰謀論者嗎?
M:You're only a nutter?if you're wrong.錯了的才是瘋子。
W:Hm, and was he?wrong?那他錯了嗎?
M:I should think so.我覺得是。
W:But he got fixated?on Baskerville, didn't he? With what they were doing in there. Couldn't Henry?have gone the same way, started imagining a hound?可他執迷于巴斯克維爾,對嗎??一心窺探里面的事,亨利不會犯了同樣的病,開始幻想獵犬嗎?
M:Why do you think I'll talk about this? Because I?think you're worried about him and because I'm a doctor too. And because I have?another friend.何以見得我會跟你談這個呢?因為我覺得你也擔心他,而且我也是醫生,因為我另一個朋友,也許也有同樣的問題。
Frankland:Ah, Dr Watson!啊,華生醫生。
W:Hi.嗨!
Franklan:Hello. How's the?investigation going?你好,案子查的怎樣?
M:What, investigation?什么查案?
Franklan:Didn't you know? Don't?you read the blog? Sherlock Holmes.你不知道?沒看那個博客?夏洛克·福爾摩斯。
M:Sherlock who?夏洛克什么?
Frankland:Private detective.?This is his PA.私家偵探,這是他的私人助理。
W:PA?私人助理?
Frankland:Well, live-in PA.嗯同居助理。
M:Live-in..?同居...?
W:This is Dr Mortimer,?Henry's therapist.這是莫蒂默醫生,亨利的心理醫師。
Frankland:Oh, hello. Bob?Frankland. Listen, tell Sherlock I've been keeping an eye on Stapleton. Any?time he wants a little chat. All right?你好,我是鮑勃·弗蘭克蘭。聽著,告訴夏洛克我在盯著斯坦佩頓。想聊聊隨時來找我,好嗎?
M:Why don't you buy him a drink? I think he likes?you.怎么不請他喝一杯?他多喜歡你啊。
S:Morning! Oh, how are?you feeling?早安今天感覺如何?
H:I... I didn't sleep?very well.我...我睡的不好。
S:Oh, that's a shame.Shall?I make us some coffee? Oh, look, you've got damp!太可惜了。我來沖咖啡好嗎?你看,房子滲水了。
H:Listen, last?night... Why did you say you hadn't seen anything? I mean, I only saw the hound?for a minute, but…聽著,昨晚...你為什么要說什么也沒看見?我看見獵犬只出現了一分鐘可是...
S:Hound?獵犬?
H:What?什么?
S:Why do you call it a?hound? Why a hound?為什么是獵犬?怎么叫獵犬?
H:Why? What do you?mean?為什么,怎么了?
S:It's odd, isn't it? It's a strange choice?of words, archaic. That's why I took the case. "Mr Holmes, they were the?footprints of a gigantic hound." Why say "hound"?不覺得奇怪嗎?奇特的老式用詞,所以我才接下案子。"福爾摩斯先生,我看見巨大獵犬的腳印"。為什么用"獵犬"?
H:I don't know, I've?never...不知道,我從沒...
S:Actually, I'd better?skip the coffee.咖啡我還是免了。
S:Did you get anywhere?with that Morse code?摩斯密碼有頭緒嗎?
W:Nah.沒有。
S:U, M, Q, R, A,?wasn't it? Umqra. U M Q R A對吧?
W:Nothing. Look,?forget it. I thought I was onto something, I wasn't.沒有,忘了吧,根本不是線索。
S:Sure?真的?
W:Yeah.嗯。
S:How about Louise?Mortimer, did you get anywhere with her?跟露易絲·莫蒂默有進展嗎?
W:No.沒有。
S:Too bad. But did you?get any information?可惜啊,那你打聽到什么消息了嗎?
W:You're being funny?now?你還說起笑話了?
S:Thought it might?break the ice, a bit.套套近乎嘛,打破這種冷冰冰的關系。
W:Funny doesn't suit?you. Let's stick to ice.搞笑不適合你,還是冷一點好。
S:John...約翰…
W:It's fine.沒關系。
S:Wait, something?happened to me last night, something I've not experienced before.等等,昨晚的事是因為我體驗到了從沒有過的感覺。
W:Yes, you said. Fear,?Sherlock Holmes got scared, you said.是啊你說了,恐懼,夏洛克·福爾摩斯害怕了。
S:It was more than?that, John. It was doubt. I felt doubt. I've always been able to trust my?senses, the evidence of my own eyes, until last night.不止這些,約翰,還有懷疑,我懷疑自己,我一直都信任自己的感官,眼見則為實,直到昨晚。
W:You can't actually?believe that you saw some kind of monster?你不會真相信看見了怪獸吧?
S:No, I can't believe?that. But I did see it,so the question is, how? How?對,我不能信,可我真看見了,所以問題是,怎么會,怎么會?
W:Yes.Yeah, right, good.So you've got something to go on, then.Good luck with that.對,嗯,妙極了。這么說你有線索了祝你好運吧。
S:Listen, what I saidbefore, John, I meant it.I don't havefriends. I've just got one.聽著約翰,我說的那些是真心的,我沒有朋友,身邊就只有你。
W:Right.好呀。
S:John. John! You are?amazing! You are fantastic!約翰,約翰,你出類拔萃,你絕妙無雙
W:Yes, all right, you?don't have to overdo it.好好,差不多得了啊。
S:You may not be themost luminous of people, but as a conductor of light, you are unbeatable.也許你本身并不能發光,但作為光的傳導者,你舉世無雙。
W:Cheers(!) What?謝啦...什么?
S:Some people who?aren't geniuses have an ability to stimulate it in others.有些人本身沒有天才,卻有激發天才的力量。
W:You were saying?sorry. Don't spoil it. So what have I done that's so bloody stimulating?你剛才在道歉呢,別變味了啊,我做了什么這么激發天才?
S:What if it's not a?word, what if it is individual letters?如果這不是詞是單個字母呢?
W:You think it's an?acronym?你覺得是首字母縮寫?
S:Absolutely no idea,?but...毫無頭緒不過...
S:What the hell are?you doing here?!你跑來干什么?
L:Oh, nice to see you?too(!)I'm on holiday, would you believe?見到你我也很高興。我說我在度假,你信嗎?
S:No, I wouldn't.才不信呢。
L:Hello, John.你好,約翰。
W:Greg.格雷格。
L:I heard you were in?the area. What are you up to? Are you after this Hound of Hell, like on the?telly?聽說你也在附近,忙什么呢?追查電視上那條地獄犬嗎?
S:I'm waiting for an?explanation, Inspector, why are you here?我在等你解釋,探長,你來干什么?
L:I've told you, I'm?on holiday.告訴你了,度假。
S:You're brown as a?nut. You're clearly just back from your holidays.瞧你曬的跟堅果似的,顯然剛度假回來。
L:I fancied another?one.我就想再度一個。
S:Oh, this is Mycroft,?isn't it? Of course it is. One mention of Baskerville and he sends down my?handler to spy on me, incognito. Is that why you're calling yourself?"Greg"?哦,是麥考夫,對不對?喂...當然是一聽到巴斯克維爾,他就派我的訓導員來臥底了還用假名,自稱格雷格了對吧?
W:That's his name.那是他的名字。
S:Is it?是嗎?
L:Yes. If you'd ever?bothered to find out. Look, I'm not your handler. And I just don't do what your?brother tells me.對,勞駕您去問問就知道,聽著,我不是你的訓導員,我也不是什么都聽你哥的話。
W:Actually, you could?be just the man we want.說實話,我們還真用得上你。
S:Why?怎么?
W:Well, I've not been?idle, Sherlock. I think I might have found something. Here. I didn't know if it?was relevant. Starting to look like it might be. That is an awful lot of meat?for a vegetarian restaurant.我可沒閑著,夏洛克,我找到了些東西,這里,不知道有沒有關聯,似乎有點關聯了,素食餐廳可用了不少肉啊。
S:Excellent.妙極了。
W:A nice, scary inspector from Scotland Yard, who?can put in a few calls, might come in very handy.親切又可怕的蘇格蘭場探長,打幾個電話,絕對有用。
W:What's this?這是什么?
S:Coffee. I made?coffee.咖啡,我泡的咖啡。
W:You never make?coffee.你從不泡咖啡。
S:Don't you want it?我剛泡了你不想喝?
W:You don't have to keep apologising. Thanks. Hm,?I don't take sugar. That's nice. It's good.你不用一直道歉的,謝謝,我不要糖的。不錯,味道好極了。
L:These records go?back nearly two months. Is that when you had the idea, after the TV show went?out?這些記錄能追溯到近兩個月前。你就是在那時想到這主意的,電視節目播出以后?
Man C:It's me. It was me. I'm?sorry, Gary. I couldn't help it. I had a bacon sandwich at Cal's wedding and?one thing led to another.是我,是我,對不起,蓋里,我身不由己,在卡爾的婚禮上吃了個熏肉三明治,事情就一件接一件的發生了。
L:Nice try.真可信啊。
Man B:Look, we were just?trying to give things a bit of a boost, you know? Let a great big dog run wild?up on the moor, it was heaven-sent. It was like us having our own Loch Ness monster.我們只是稍微添油加醋,好嗎?一條大狗逃到了沼地里,天賜良機,就像是我們自己的尼斯湖水怪。
L:And where do you?keep it?你們把它關在哪?
Man B:There's an old mine?shaft. It's not too far. He was all right there.不遠的地方有一個礦井,它本來挺好的。
L:Was?本來?
Man B:We couldn't control the bloody thing. It?was vicious.And then, a month ago, Billy took him to the vet and, you know...他在那本來好好的,我們管不住它了,太兇殘了,于是一個月前,比利把他帶去獸醫那里...
W:He's dead?他死了?
Man B:Put down.被安樂死了。
Man C:Yeah. No choice. So?it's over.對,實在沒辦法,一切都結束了。
Man B:It was just a joke,?you know.你知道就是個玩笑。
L:Yeah, hilarious(!)You've?nearly driven a man out of his mind.嗯,真幽默。你們快把一個人逼瘋了。
W:You know he's?actually pleased you're here? Secretly pleased.知道吧,其實他暗自高興你來了。
L:Is he? That's nice. I?suppose he likes having all the same faces back together. Appeals to?his...his...是嗎?那就好,估計他喜歡熟面孔重聚在一起,滿足了他的...
W:Asperger's?亞斯伯格癥? (較高功能自閉癥)
L:So, you believe them?about having the dog destroyed?所以你相信那只狗處理掉了。
S:No reason not to.為什么不。
L:Well, hopefully?there's no harm done. I'm not quite sure what I'd charge them with, anyway. I'll?have a word with the local force. Right, that's that, then. Catch you later. I'm?enjoying this. It's nice to get London out of your lungs.順利的話,沒什么壞影響,也不知該怎么起訴他們,我會和當地警局談談,很好,就這樣吧,回頭見,這里真不錯倫敦的濁氣都排干凈了。
W:So that was their?dog that people saw out on the moor?沼地上大家看到的就是他們的狗?
S:Looks like it.似乎是。
W:But that wasn't what?you saw, that wasn't just an ordinary dog.不過你看到的不是,那不是普通的狗。
S:No. It was immense. It?had burning red eyes, and it was glowing, John, its whole body was glowing. I've?got a theory, but I need to get back into Baskerville to test it.對,巨大無比,殺氣騰騰的紅眼睛閃著光,約翰,通體發光,我想出了個道理,但要回到巴斯克維爾去驗證一下。
W:How? Can't pull off?the ID trick again.怎么去?證件的把戲不能再用了。
S:Might not have to.也許不需要。