If tomorrow comes (4)假如明天來臨

Chapter 4

第四章

It was not until the following afternoon that the desk sergeant would permit Tracy to use the telephone. Harriet answered. "Mr. Stanhope's office."

直到第二天下午,值班警官才允許特蕾西打電話。是哈里特接的:“斯坦厄普先生辦公室。”

"Harriet, this is Tracy Whitney. I'd like to speak to Mr. Stanhope."

“哈里特,我是特蕾西-惠特里。我想和斯坦厄普先生通話。”

"Just a moment, Miss Whitney." She heard the hesitation in the secretary's voice. "I'll--- I'll see if Mr. Stanhope is in."

“請稍等,惠特里小姐。”她聽得出這位秘書的聲調很躊躇。“我——我去看看斯坦厄普先生是否在。”

After a long, harrowing wait, Tracy finally heard Charles's voice. She could have wept with relief. "Charles---"

經過一段長時間的,令人心碎的等待之后,特蕾西終于聽到了查爾斯的聲音。她感到一陣輕松,差點哭出聲來:“查爾斯——”

"Tracy? Is that you, Tracy?"

“特蕾西嗎?是你嗎,特蕾西?”

"Yes, darling. Oh, Charles, I've been trying to reach---"

“是的,親愛的。噢,查爾斯,我一直在設法找——”

"I've been going crazy, Tracy! The newspapers here are full of wild stories about you. I can't believe what they're saying."

“我都急瘋了,特蕾西!這兒的報紙上都是關于你的胡言亂語。我沒法相信他們的話。”

"None of it is true, darling. None of it. I---"

“沒有一點是真的,親愛的,一絲一毫也沒有。我——”

"Why didn't you call me?"

“你為什么不打電話給我?”

"I tried. I couldn't reach you. I---"

“我打過,但找不到你。我——”

"Where are you now?"

“你現在在哪兒?”

"I'm--- I'm in a jail in New Orleans. Charles, they're going to send me to prison for something I didn't do." To her horror, she was weeping.

“我在——我在新奧爾良的監獄里。查爾斯,他們要把我送進監獄,可我完全是無辜的。”她害怕得哭了起來。

"Hold on. Listen to me. The papers say that you shot a man. That's not true, is it?"

“別哭。聽我說。報上說你開槍殺人,這不是真的,對吧?”

"I did shoot him, but---"

“我是開了槍,但——”

"Then it is true."

“那么說是真的了?”

"It's not the way it sounds, darling. It's not like that at all. I can explain everything to you. I---"

“可不是象報上說的那樣,親愛的。完全不是那樣。我可以把一切告訴你。我——”

"Tracy, did you plead guilty to attempted murder and stealing a painting?"

“特蕾西,你承認蓄意殺人和盜竊一幅畫兒的罪行里嗎?”

"Yes, Charles, but only because---"

“是的,查爾斯,但那只是因為——”

"My God, if you needed money that badly, you should have discussed it with me.... And trying to kill someone.... I can't believe this. Neither can my parents. You're the headline in this morning's Philadelphia Daily News. This is the first time a breath of scandal has ever touched the Stanhope family."

“我的上帝,如果你那么需要錢,總該和我商量一下……而你卻企圖殺人……我簡直無法相信。我父母也無法相信。你已經成里今天上午費城《沒日新聞》的頭條新聞。這可是斯坦厄普家第一次遭到別人的閑言碎語。”

?著作權歸作者所有,轉載或內容合作請聯系作者
平臺聲明:文章內容(如有圖片或視頻亦包括在內)由作者上傳并發布,文章內容僅代表作者本人觀點,簡書系信息發布平臺,僅提供信息存儲服務。

推薦閱讀更多精彩內容

  • **2014真題Directions:Read the following text. Choose the be...
    又是夜半驚坐起閱讀 9,890評論 0 23
  • 愛一個不愛你的人,是否會有結果?
    濼濼濼閱讀 130評論 0 0
  • 定義局部最小的概念。arr長度為1時,arr[0]是局部最小。arr的長度為N(N>1)時,如果arr[0]<ar...
    IT_Matters閱讀 800評論 0 1
  • 活出孩子欽佩的樣子 因為孩子休學,以前一直活在發現問題,解決問題的階段。從最初的焦慮悲觀失望,到四處尋師乞求得到指...
    云在青天1閱讀 243評論 0 0
  • 前幾天,接到大學室友生小孩請客的請柬!原本是件高興的事,但說實話,我一點都不高興。不是因為要交份子錢了,只是想想這...
    嘟嘴小長發閱讀 504評論 2 1