《老人與海》第二章

"Santiago," the boy said.

“圣地亞哥,”孩子說。

"Yes," the old man said. He was holding his glass and thinking of many years ago.

“呃,”老人回答。他把酒杯拿在手里,正想著許多年以前的事情。

"Can I go out to get sardines for you for tomorrow?"

“我去替你拿些明天的沙丁魚來,好不好?”

"No. Go and play baseball. I can still row and Rogelio will throw the net."

“不。你去玩壘球吧。我還可以劃船呢,何況還有羅吉利奧替我撒網。”

"I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you, I would like to serve in some way."

“我還是想去。即使不能跟你一道打魚,我也想替你做些別的事兒。”

"You bought me a beer," the old man said. "You are already a man."

“你已經替我買了一瓶啤酒,”老人說。“現在你是個大人啦。”

"How old was I when you first took me in a boat?"

“你頭一趟帶我上船,那時我多大歲數?”

"Five and you nearly were killed when I brought the fish in too green and he nearly tore the boat to pieces. Can you remember?"

“五歲。當年我把一條生龍活虎的魚拖上船的時候,那家伙險些兒把船撞得粉碎,你也差點送了命。還記得嗎?”

"I can remember the tail slapping and banging and the thwart breaking and the noise of the clubbing.

“我記得魚尾巴叭噠叭噠地直撲打,船上坐板也裂開了縫,還有你用棍棒打魚的聲音。

I can remember you throwing me into the bow where the wet coiled lines were and feeling the whole boat shiver,

我記得你把我扔到船頭放著濕鉤絲卷兒的地方,我覺得整只船都在顫動,

and the noise of you clubbing him like chopping a tree down and the sweet blood smell all over me."

我又聽到你用棍子打魚的聲音,像砍一棵樹似的,接著一股新鮮的血腥味兒撲遍了我的全身。”

"Can you really remember that or did I just tell it to you?"

“你真的記得那回事兒嗎?還是我告訴你的呢?”

"I remember everything from when we first went together."

“從我們第一次一起到海里去起,什么事兒我都記得一清二楚。”

The old man looked at him with his sunburned, confident loving eyes.

老人用他那雙日曬風吹、堅定而慈愛的眼睛望著他。

"If you were my boy I'd take you out and gamble," he said.

“你要是我自個兒的孩子,我就會帶你去冒一冒險了,”他說。

"But you are your father's and your mother's and you are in a lucky boat."

“可是,你是你爸爸的,是你媽媽的,你搭的又是一只交了好運的船。”

"May I get the sardines? I know where I can get four baits too."

“我去拿沙丁魚好嗎?我還知道什么地方可以拿四條魚食來呢。”

"I have mine left from today. I put them in salt in the box."

“今天我自個兒還有剩下的。我把它們放在盒子里用鹽腌上了。”

"Let me get four fresh ones."

“那么讓我弄四條新鮮的來吧。”

"One," the old man said.

“一條,”老人說。

His hope and his confidence had never gone. But now they were freshening as when the breeze rises.

他的希望和信心從來沒有消失,現在又像微風初起時那樣清新了。

"Two," the boy said.

“兩條,”孩子說。

"Two," the old man agreed. "You didn't steal them?"

“那么就兩條吧,”老人答應了。“可不是偷來的吧?”

"I would," the boy said. "But I bought these."

“偷我也愿意,”孩子說。“可我是買來的。”

"Thank you," the old man said.

“謝謝你,”老人說。

He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility.

他真夠天真,在自己謙卑的時候一點也不以為奇。

But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful and it carried no loss of true pride.

但是他知道他已經變得謙卑,他知道這不是恥辱,而且也沒有給真正的高傲帶來損失。

"Tomorrow is going to be a good day with this current," he said.

“照這樣的海流,明天會是一個好日子,”他說。

"Where are you going?" the boy asked.

“你要到哪兒去?”孩子問。

"Far out to come in when the wind shifts. I want to be out before it is light."

“去得遠遠的,風向一轉就順著風回來。天亮以前我就要出發了。”

"I'll try to get him to work far out," the boy said.

“我想叫他也去得遠遠的,”孩子說。

"Then if you hook something truly big we can come to your aid."

“那么,你要是捉到一條真正的大魚,我們就可以來幫助你了。”

"He does not like to work too far out."

“他不愿意把船開得很遠。”

"No," the boy said.

“是的,”孩子說。

"But I will see something that he cannot see such as a bird working and get him to come out after dolphin."

“可是我會看見他看不見的東西,像覓食的鳥兒,我看到了就會叫他去追海豚。”

"Are his eyes that bad?"

“他的眼睛那樣不中用嗎?”

"He is almost blind."

“他的眼睛差不多瞎啦。”

"It is strange," the old man said. "He never went turtle-ing. That is what kills the eyes."

“這倒也奇怪,”老人說。“他是從來不去捉海龜的。捉海龜才傷眼睛呢。”

"But you went turtle-ing for years off the Mosquito Coast and your eyes are good."

“你在摩斯基多海灣捉了好些年的海龜,你的眼睛還是好好的。”

"I am a strange old man."

“我是一個古怪的老頭兒啊。”

"But are you strong enough now for a truly big fish?"

“可是,你現在的力氣足夠捉住一條真正的大魚嗎?”

"I think so. And there are many tricks."

“我想是可以的。何況還有許多訣竅呢。”

"Let us take the stuff home," the boy said. "So I can get the cast net and go after the sardines."

“我們把東西拿回家吧,”孩子說。“這樣我才能夠拿網去捉些沙丁魚來。”

They picked up the gear from the boat.

他們把東西從船上撿起。

The old man carried the mast on his shoulder and the boy carried the wooden box with the coiled,

老人扛著桅桿,孩子抱著木頭盒子,

hard-braided brown lines, the gaff and the harpoon with its shaft.

盒子里盛著盤在一起、編得很硬的褐色釣絲,還有魚鉤和帶把子的魚叉。

The box with the baits was under the stern of the skiff along with the club that was used to subdue the big fish when they were brought alongside.

盛魚食的盒子連同一根棍子放在船梢下面,那根棍子是等把大魚拖進船旁邊的時候用來把它們打暈的。

No one would steal from the old man but it was better to take the sail and the heavy lines home as the dew was bad for them and,

沒有人會偷老人的東西,不過還是把船帆和沉重的鉤絲帶回家去妥當些,因為那些東西沾了露水就不好了,

though he was quite sure no local people would steal from him,

同時,老人雖然深信當地不會有人偷他的東西,

the old man thought that a gaff and a harpoon were needless temptations to leave in a boat.

但他覺得把魚叉和魚鉤丟在船上實在是不必要的誘惑。

最后編輯于
?著作權歸作者所有,轉載或內容合作請聯系作者
平臺聲明:文章內容(如有圖片或視頻亦包括在內)由作者上傳并發布,文章內容僅代表作者本人觀點,簡書系信息發布平臺,僅提供信息存儲服務。

推薦閱讀更多精彩內容